Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be all mushy, gushy and romantic. That’s not everyone’s style and I totally get it. I am not one to spill my feelings and go over the top with romantic gestures. And even though some people despise Valentine’s Day altogether because it’s a Hallmark holiday, I still think it gives you a good reason to do something a little extra. We’ve all either said it or have heard someone say it, “Why do you need Valentine’s Day to do something romantic and nice?” The answer is you don’t. But let’s be realistic how many of us really do something romantic and fun for our friends or significant others out of the ordinary?
Embrace Valentine’s Day and have fun with it.
Take a cue from Breakfast at Tiffany's
I’ve put together a great GF (girlfriend) gift idea that’s fun and flirty without diving into the romance pool too deep.
What girl doesn’t love a Kate Spade purse? Buy the Play Hooky purse from www.katespade.com for starters.
This purse is priced at $248 so yes it’s a little pricey (she’s totally worth it) but I’ll give you a budget friendly gift too. No worries.
Next you’ll want to create a ‘hooky itinerary’. Plan a creative day that highlights a passion/interest your girl has or a day that gets you exploring your local community/city. To get some ideas flowing start by asking yourself a few questions:
- What has she always wanted to try but has been too scared to do?
- What was one of her favorite childhood memories, toys, or hobbies?
- What’s her favorite food/book/movie?
- What TV character’s life does she envy?
You know, questions like that. After you’ve brainstormed a bit start planning your day. Here’s a few examples:
- Girl loves baking: enroll the two of you in a cooking class.
- Girl loves old-school Nintendo/Sega games: download a bunch of these old games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario Brothers, Tetris, Mario Party, Oregon Trail, Zelda, Smash Brothers, Mortal Kombat, etc. to play for the day. For snacks/meal you can buy candy favorites from her childhood (ring pops, candy cigarettes, airheads, atomic fireballs, bazooka bubble gum, candy buttons, etc.) and recreate a nostalgic meal.
- Girl loves the outdoors: plan a hike, visit the shooting range, learn to surf, go skiing, whatever it may be you can still keep it simple – after all it’s a day about spending time with one another.
Put that winning idea in writing and make it look nice! You can do a faux coupon, make it look like a ticket, create a mock menu, whatever it is make sure it matches the theme of your gift (you’ll get extra brownie points). And to top it off fill the bag with something fun, like tons of red Gummi Bears.
Budget version: If money’s a factor grab a bottle of wine, I suggest something fun:
Or something pink:
Barefoot Bubbly: Rose Cuvee
After work get together at her place or yours. Bring the wine, something sweet, and a journal (pictured below) to create a BUCKET LIST JUST FOR TWO. This way you can put down all the places you want to go and things you need to do together, so next time when you can afford to play hooky you’ll have some fantastic ideas. Have fun with it! (that’s why you need the wine)
Customize a journal from Minted.com
Always, Olive You.